For most, one word sums up the April concert circuit: COACHELLA. For the modern millennial, it’s the Woodstock festival we all wish we could have attended. Past headliners range throughout every genre of music, including Prince, Kanye West, Nine Inch Nails, Calvin Harris and Paul McCartney; this year’s lineup, which begins in one week, features The Weekend, Eminem, and Queen B herself, Beyonce.
And while it’s all about the music, everyone can tell you that the Coachella brand is almost as strong. Make your way to middle of the desert for either weekend, and feathers, flowers, flowing dresses will be just the beginning of the whimsical fashion you will find. Before the main concerts start, you’ll find cocktails by the pool, music blasting and the laid-back party vibe in almost hotel and Air BnB you pass.
So grab your oversized sunglasses, jean shorts or draping dress, iPhone filters, and enjoy some of these fantastic recipes to celebrate everything Coachella.
See you at the dinner table,
Dizzy Desert Lemonade
This desert inspired cocktail with agave will keep you cool in the dry desert heat, but the kick is the floral garnish. While it may seem like just a little bit of bright color for your Instagram story, this edible flower packs a bit of punch: eating it will make your mouth numb with a tingling sensation. As you kick back and enjoy this refreshing libation, you won’t be able to feel your face, or at least your mouth.
- Ice | Vodka | Agave Syrup | Fresh Lemon Juice | Lemon Slice & Szechuan Button Flower for Garnish
Honey Sriracha Chicken
There is nothing like hanging by the pool and starting up the grill. With a kick of Sasha Fierce spice, and a sweetness that the Beyhive will approve of, this chicken will be a hit with the single ladies, divas, grown women, and baby boys. And if the heat is just too much, just grab a Dizzy Desert Lemonade and you’ll be ready to go All Night!
- Chicken Breasts or Chicken Wings
- Baking Powder | Smoked Paprika | Salt | Pepper
- Sriracha | Honey | Rice Vinegar | Sesame Oil
- Sesame Seeds | Cilantro
- In a bowl, sift together Baking Powder, Smoked Paprika, Salt, & Pepper
- Coat your chicken in the dry ingredient mixture
- Place chicken on grill, turning every 10-15 minutes
- Combine Honey, Sriracha, Rice Vinegar, & Sesame Oil
- Baste with sauce every 10 minutes until chicken is cooked through and remove from grill
- Brush with final coat of sauce
- Garnish with sesame seeds and cilantro
The Real Slim Jim Jerky
May we have your attention please? If you’re enjoying the Coachella camping, it’s important to have snacks that you can quickly grab and eat and you stand inline for the bus. This smoked jerky is perfect to make ahead of time and bring along to the festivities. Note, there will be no actual Slim Jims in this recipe, but we were trying to come up with something that didn’t have anything to do with M&Ms.
- Flank Steak
- Worcestershire Sauce | Honey | Garlic Powder | Soy Sauce | Onion Powder | Paprika | Cayenne Pepper | Liquid Smoke | Red Pepper Flakes
- Cut flank steak into thin strips (about ½ inch) and then pound out a little
- Combine all other ingredients to make marinade
- In a bowl combine flank steak strips and marinade, cover, and let it refrigerate overnight
- Put strips onto aluminum lined baking sheet, single layered
- Set your oven to a low temperature (150-175F) and cook from anywhere between 4-6 hours, flipping once.
- The jerky is finished when it is completely dried out